Wednesday, November 4, 2009

First book done: The Earthsea Quartet, Ursula leGuin

Do you ever get that feeling that you're the dunce of the class?

Well, thats how i felt when i finally finished the Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin. This series and its author have had a huge impact on the world of fiction, especially fantasy! One of my all time favourite fantasy series, the book of Pellinor is a nod to this series, so you can imagine what i was expecting!

*sigh*

God, i really wanted to love these books as they've inspired so many of my favourite writers and i had really high hopes for enjoying them (maybe that was part of the problem). Although i can appreciate the plot and story arc of the Earthsea Cycle (i had four books in one), i just didn't connect with the characters or story at all.

I was completely indifferent to SparrowHawk and his journey! I just seemed to disconnect while reading, if that makes sense.

Strangely, i feel slightly disappointed in myself for not appreciating/connecting with these books more , especially when i love reading/writing fantasy - I feel like i've now lost my membership card lol.

I guess i'll just have to put this series to one side and reread at a later date and see how i go.

I'd love to know what other people thought of this series? and if you liked/loved it, what was it about it that appealed?

or if there are other works by Ursula Le Guin which i might redeem myself with? lol.

No comments: